Saturday, February 25, 2012

No Kind Words for the Map Room

After reading such divergent reviews of the Map Room, I decided that the only thing to do was to give the restaurant a fair test. Things did not begin well.

Upon entering the nearly deserted restaurant, I noticed the garish maps that, presumably, give the place its name and I shuddered.  Next I encountered a frantic, frizzly-haired little woman who, I would come to discover, owns the Map Room.  She was dismissive, rude and abrasive.  I ordered a draught beer.  The little woman must have believed that I was not very thirsty because she filled the pimply, chunky mug only three quarters of the way.  The Belhaven (what there was of it) was good but I did not order a second.  I didn't think I wanted one and a half beers for the price of two.

The menu was short and there was nothing special sounding about the specials so I ordered the Black Strap Stout Barbecue Bacon Burger, medium well.  Unfortunately, the restaurant must of judged me to be both thirstless and in a hurry because the meat came to the table rare.  I eventually got the attention of my server (after a full fifteen minutes) and sent the health hazard back to the grill.  It came back well done.  To my mind, juiceless is preferable to bloody ground meat so I suffered through half of the burger.

In the end, I ate half a meal, drank three quarters of a beer and paid 120% of the bill, vowing never to return.  If you're like me, you will read this review and try the restaurant in spite of it.  For my adventurous brethren, I have three and a half words:  "you'll be sorry."
Map Room Grill and Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/271046/restaurant/Pittsburgh/Regent-Square/Map-Room-Grill-and-Bar-Swissvale
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/271028/restaurant/South-Side/Mallorca-Pittsburgh

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/23/7417/Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh-Restaurant-Reviews.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete